[lbo-talk] Thoughts on Palin and Sexism

Dwayne Monroe dwayne.monroe at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 13:49:29 PDT 2008

Dorene wrote:

I feel the same way about condom use: just because one knows what condoms are used for and how to use them does not mean the person has solved all the personal decisions about what to do with the information. I think it is perfectly possible to have an open positive view about sex in general and still choose NOT to sleep with a given person at a given time for any number of reasons.

I'm sorry, but I can't quite figure this out.

You seem to be saying that people who argue for condom education and related 'sexually open' topics would disagree with you: that they'd kookily equate 'sexual openness' with, well, I'm not sure; never saying no?

Maybe I'm misreading you but...has any person worth listening to ever said that knowing how to use condoms would 'solve all personal decisions about what to do with the information'?

The goals seem to be rather targeted: minimizing exposure to STDs and preventing unplanned pregnancy. You could accomplish both these objectives and still have a super tanker's worth of decisions to make about if, where, when, who with and so on.

I think sensible adults (such as, most of the people talking about condom education) understand this pretty well.

.d.