[lbo-talk] ABC News/Washington Post Poll: After the Conventions

James Heartfield Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 10 01:31:57 PDT 2008

'This could be all froth on a labor day beer.' says Michael, which might be true.

Still, I think that Ms Palin provoked a pretty obnoxious reaction from Dems which says more about their weaknesses than hers.

She was lambasted for having too many kids, too late, for hunting, for having a daughter who was pregnant out of wedlock, Bill Maher called her 'this stewardess'.

People have pointed out the sexism in these comments. What stands out for me is the class hatred. For sure, Palin's commonman background has been manufactured - but all the Democrat commentators seem to take it on face value and attack her for it.

What comes across to me, looking in from over here, is that Hilary Clinton had a point about the Obama supporters - they just don't like working class people, and they have a visceral reaction against anyone who is not educated and connected.

Campaigns tend to draw out such weaknesses, and that is not good news for Obama.