[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Wed Sep 10 10:05:59 PDT 2008

``The annoying thing is when the fundies mount the pulpit and prescribe for the rest of us, when their own lives are hardly models..'' Max

``They see lots of unmarried pregnancies, drug abuse, and divorce in their own subculture, and they think things are bad all around...'' Miles

The above taken together explains a lot to me about the Right and its absurd appeal to the white male identity crowd that must number in the 50% range of US voters. And through a process of inversion and denial, what the attraction is to hidebound authoritiarnism, law and order, and an evidently stupid morality.

Before I forget here is a link to Michael Yates' essay on Monthly Review. It was posted before on this thread to counter Wojtek and might have been missed. It is very good at painting the picture of working class America:

http://www.monthlyreview.org/080101yates.php

Once I read it, and then returned to Miles' insight above, I got a nice little flash insight on the Right and the Fundies. Of course they blame liberalism and tolerance, instead of themselves. That blame is exactly at the heart of their own denial. It isn't hypocrisy at all. Hypocrisy would imply self-knowledge, and that is exactly what the Right and their popular support lack.

Anyway, it was nice little insight. I'll chew on it this morning. I stayed home this morning from work and got up late. Much more relaxing than getting up in a hurry and racing out the door.

Maybe tonight I'll outline my work day with its proceedures that Yates outlined for assembly line production. Control of my work day isn't quite as ridgit, but it is comes close. And it is precisely the managerial level of control that makes this job site suck so bad, and conversely made the last job site feel some much better.

Whether I know all this or not, I still fall prey to injuries, particularly the psychological ones of rage etc, and longed for liberation. Just because I know the drill, doesn't mean I can escape it.

CG