[lbo-talk] earmarks, Alaska style

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Sep 10 18:07:53 PDT 2008

In the first respect earmarks are not so different from 'regular' legislation. Any big tax bill, for instance, is a christmas tree of goodies for assorted characters. If Congress decides to fund high speed rail, in general a good thing, they won't be distributing money according to righteous cost-benefit calculations.

The second respect is more salient, though there as well lobbying dollars are aimed at all sorts of legislation, not just earmarks.

Public (non-defense) provision has warts, as does private provision. On balance I would say the former, including earmarks, is justifiable more often than not.

But we can't say that now because we're in this dumb contest with Gabby Hayes as to who is more agin earmarks.