[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 06:28:22 PDT 2008

--- On Thu, 9/11/08, James Heartfield <Heartfield at blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> Which reinforces my suspicion that the LBO-list is a little
> skewed in its demographic towards the larger cities, and out
> of touch with small town America, as, I believe is much of
> the US left.
>
> That strikes me as a problem, especially seeing some of the
> visceral hatred that Sarah Palin's candidacy provokes. I
> suggest that a lot of that reaction is just anti-working
> class prejudice, masquerading as anti-republicanism (in much
> the same way that the left here kept its most bitter attacks
> for 'Essex Man' who was supposed to have cost Labour
> victory throughout the 1980s).
>
> The glee that the liberal press take in reporting the
> (thoroughly ordinary) problems in Ms Palin's family life
> seems to exemplify their disdain for ordinary people.

[WS:] You are right about urban "skewness" of this list and the US left and liberal circles in general.

But I do not really get your "ordinary people" argument. 'Ordinary people" in Germany once blamed Jews for thier economic ills and supported Nazi views on racial purity, miscegenation, and causes of social problems. By your logic, you should be embracing such views to be closer to "ordinary people," no?

And while we are that, yes, I am totally with Doug on that. I think that fundies and assorted petit bourgeois types populating America are despicable, worthless, and dangerous people because of their bigotry, intolerance, narrow-mindedness, philistinism, arrogance, aggression, and self-righteousness. Fuck them all! The world would be a much better place without them.

Wojtek