[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 11 10:17:34 PDT 2008

At 09:52 AM 9/11/2008, Doug Henwood wrote:

>But it galls me no end that "small town America" is
>somehow seen as more real than big town America.

It's some kind of "It's a Wonderful Life" hangover.

Heartfield says the Palin family's problems are ordinary. I'd say they're indicative of the extraordinary dysfunction of small town America. To cite just one example, meth use is a huge problem among kids in the sticks mostly because there's not a fucking thing for them to do. Talk about no future. Visit an all-night Wal-Mart in small town America at 2 a.m. It's like a zombie movie in there.