[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Joseph Catron jncatron at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 12:27:04 PDT 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 1:14 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

"stA" is more Republican than non-"stA." I know you're not big on the state
> and mainstream politics, but that counts for something.

Here's a big part of the reason why (which doesn't make much sense to me, but is apparently a noticeable phenomenon):

"As a general rule, the more unequal a place is, the more Democratic; the more equal, the more Republican. The gap between rich and poor in Washington is nearly twice as great as in strongly Republican Charlotte, N.C.; and more than twice as great as in Republican-leaning Phoenix, Fort Worth, Indianapolis and Anaheim."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/magazine/07Inequality-t.html

That aside, it's the ideological construct that most annoys me. It really
> pollutes our discourse, and makes non-stA'ers cringe apologetically
> sometimes.

They talk shit about you, and you talk shit about them. Don't try to make yourself out as the poor, innocent, apologetically cringing victim here.