[lbo-talk] Obama and us

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 15:57:22 PDT 2008

DRR wrote:

> Calm down already. The rest of the world will do fine.
> It's this Empire which is f$%^ed, burned, done. Its
> influence on the rest of the world has fallen off a
> cliff. Half its mortages have just been nationalized,
> and the Banks of China, Russia and the ECB own what's
> left of this place.

I love that Carrolian certainty. It's so soothing.

Well, I've been arguing that the decoupling story, well stated, is not implausible. But you seem so sure... I don't know, you remind me of an old friend who has been anticipating the imminent collapse of capitalism for as long as I can remember.

> This election is a postmortem - the only real issue is
> how to slice up the corpse. Yes, it would be better if
> Obama won, it would make the transition to the post-
> American world a little easier.

Well, yes, that's the real issue: how. I guess, you can file for imperial bankruptcy under chapter 7 or under chapter 11. And that has to make some difference in the lives of... I don't know... at least 300 million people.

> But don't count Obama out just yet. He's going to make
> this a fight, unlike Gore or Kerry.

All I can say is that I hope you're right.