[lbo-talk] authentically working class

Dmytri Kleiner dk at telekommunisten.net
Fri Sep 12 05:53:51 PDT 2008

On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 05:29:28 -0700 (PDT), Wojtek Sokolowski <swsokolowski at yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Joseph Catron <jncatron at gmail.com>
> A quick self-correction: that should have been federal tax burdens, not
>
> [WS:] Tax burden?  What kind of fucking right wing nonsense is that?
> You are not talking about your "home burden" when you pay for your house,

The house, no, paying for the land that it is on is a burden, why should a landowner be paid for allowing somebody else to use land they didn't make?

> or your "education burden" when you pay your tuition

In many countries education is free or heavily subsidized, where it isn't students face a burden.

>, or "culture burden" when you buy admission tickets to theaters or
concert halls.

Well. Leaving aside the portion of the ticket fees appropriated by rentiers, at least I get to see the show.

When taxes are collected from incomes and consumptions and then spent in ways that generate untaxed gains in location rents, then yes, that is a burden.

-- Dmytri Kleiner editing text files since 1981

http://www.telekommunisten.net