[lbo-talk] authentically working class

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 12 09:47:46 PDT 2008

Eric wrote:

>> I think Joseph has this one right. I was surprised to see how quickly
>> the champions of the urban versus rural took on the mantle of
>> 'tax-payers' - all conflict between social classes in cities
>> overshadowed by the more urgent issue of geographical equity, and the
>> most important issue was the control of the federal budget.
>
> Not to mention the very strange need, from avowed antinationalists, to
> be thought of as a "real Americans."

Who said they wish to be thought of as "real Americans"? I saw complaints about a small segment of the population trying to claim that mantle for themselves but that doesn't imply a desire to wear that mantle by the person making the complaint. I could not care less whether anyone thought I was a "real American" but I reject anyone attempting to claim that mantle for themselves. I reject the idea that such a thing as "real American" exists.

John Thornton