[lbo-talk] Hurricane Ike (was Re: Woman Auctions Off Her Virginity)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 15:30:13 PDT 2008

My impression for Austin is that we are seeing tropical wind advisories/warnings -- winds in excess of 100 mph, possibly -- for the first time, as one weatherman said in his late 40s or so, in his career as a weatherman. Yeah, we're inland: If lucky we will get mild-ish rain that this area needs very badly, at the worst tornadic activity and winds blowing out windows, blowing off rooftops, toppling cars.

And of course, probably $4+ / gallon of gas.

The media can be so sensationalist and alarmist that I dunno what to believe sometimes. But Austin's main prob. are extremely high winds, possibly tornado strength, and accommodating Houston evacuees.

Also: Hi s.! I like that a lot of us Austinites have these cryptic one-letter bylines... hah. Sleeper cells embedded in enemy territory! :)

-B.