[lbo-talk] authentically working class

martin mschiller at pobox.com
Fri Sep 12 18:38:13 PDT 2008

On Sep 12, 2008, at 6:46 PM, John Thornton wrote:

> Cops and PA would be more likely to tell a victim "Are you sure you
> want to ruin Joe's life with this accusation?" in a small town
> because of the personal connections you seem to think would
> encourage them to prosecute.

Not prosecute - report. Once you report a crime it becomes a statistic, I would hope. You're getting your statistics from 'prosecutions' only ? I don't see how that would indicate anything.

I would expect that small town justice (particularly alaska) might have a different, direct and appropriate remedy. How else could they survive ? The next time he comes to town drunk he loses his boat . The place is littered with broken boats if the pics that came back from the boy's recent trip are indicative.

martin