[lbo-talk] bondage lovers "normal," maybe even happier

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Sat Sep 13 18:09:26 PDT 2008

Not to break up the zaniness, but I have been thinking about masochism and proletarian subjectivity in Marx lately, and I think there might be a masochistic element in the construction of the collective worker. After all, isn't the problem really a sadistic identification with the boss, not as masochistic identification with one's fellow workers. I haven't fully worked this out yet but marx emphasizes that worker's collective power is produced by the very violence and domination of the factory. I'd be curious to see what folks think.... robert wood