[lbo-talk] Journalism of Mordor

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sun Sep 14 14:05:39 PDT 2008

OK. This email is a bit lengthy, but there are reasons. So I get my morning coffee, and read this:

"Harrowing video film backs Afghan villagers' claims of carnage caused by US" http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/asia/article4699077.ece

Basically, the US bombed a bunch of innocent civilians, killing maybe 90 people -- Human Rights Watch and UN investigators confirmed this, but now there's cellphone video to prove it. But then this part of the article caught my eye:

"The Pentagon’s original investigation concluded last week that US forces used close air support after coming under heavy fire during a mission to seize a Taleban commander named Mullah Sadiq. They allege that he died in the operation. The US military said that its findings were corroborated by an independent journalist embedded with the US force. He was named as the Fox News correspondent Oliver North, who came to prominence in the 1980s Iran-Contra affair, when he was an army colonel."

Wait -- THAT Oliver North? The drug-running, Constitution-shredding, Nicaraguan-murdering, selling-arms-to-Iran scumbag who narrowly escaped indictment in the 1980s? Yes, the very same one.

-- DRR