[lbo-talk] Palin bubble losing air?

Tayssir John Gabbour tayssir.john at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 16 12:47:16 PDT 2008

On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 8:06 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:
> "This struck many of us -- who, as she spoke, followed along with
> her prepared remarks, and noted how closely she stuck to the script
> -- as an unusual claim," per ABC's Jake Tapper. "(Especially those
> of my colleagues on the convention floor at the time, reading along
> on the prompter with her, noticing her excellent and disciplined
> delivery, how she punched words that were underlined and paused
> where it said 'pause,' noting that 'nuclear' was spelled out for her
> phonetically.)"

Well, the other players (Obama, etc) are probably far, far better trained for public speaking. Take John Kerry's high school:

Public Speaking and Oral Interpretation

Fall Term: 1 credit

NCAA: English core course

Instructor: Jones

"This course endeavors through a sequence of projects mimicking

real world tasks to prepare students for almost any kind of public

speaking that they may encounter at college and in their careers -

interviews, presentations, speeches, and entertainment. Many of

the projects are in pairs or in groups. Students experience the

differences between using their voices on TV, on radio and with a

microphone. We work in different spaces with different acoustics

and different imaginary audiences. The whole group puts on a

chapel performance for Valentines Day or another occasion. There

is ample time for rehearsal for each project though there is only

one shot at each task, just as in real life. The course seeks to

develop the range, clarity, and suppleness of the students'

voices, and also a wide range of skills such as boldness, clear

intentions, memorability, and political shrewdness."

-- http://www.sps.edu/podium/default.aspx?t=6534

Some elites are being trained from highschool for presenting themselves on TV vs. radio vs. other situations with a mic. Not everyone has such advantages.

So, who the hell cares about Palin lying about some teleprompter? Like the rest of them, she's an actor -- and I'm sure she's trying to build up her skills and confidence during her no doubt busy schedule.

Tayssir