[lbo-talk] Leninoid gossip

John Gulick john_gulick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 17 07:39:49 PDT 2008

Chris Doss asks:

>Did Stan Goff really convert to Christianity? Or is this old news?

JG sez:

It ain't exactly as complicated as the reading of entrails, but be your own judge. http://www.feralscholar.org/blog/index.php/2008/09/14/open-letter-to-christian-us-troops-in-iraq-and-afghanistan/

PS Please don't take this the wrong way -- Stan's path has its own understandable and defensible logic -- but the intensifying convergence of global economic collapse, carbon cycle disruption, recalcitrant US militarism, and bourgeois electoral follies in the ABSENCE OF A VIABLE LEFT seems to be spawning dozens upon dozens of strange individual trajectories. Maybe it's just the loosely interconnected circles I frequent (frequent is probably too strong a term) but I sense a lot of private despair and unannounced dropping-out going on (again, do not take this as a direct comment on Stan's case b/c he is far from quietly disengaging.)

Ten years ago as a late twentysomething grad student I had a vague sense of belonging to a small but extant generation of independent radical/Marxoid activist-intellectuals and now that appears to have fractured entirely. My peers have become frightened Obamaites (comprehensible enough), conspiracy cranks, or jaded apocalypticists. There seems to be a strong correlation between those who "made it" in the world of academia/journalism/NGO's and the first camp and those who did not and the latter two camps.

John Gulick Ansan, South Korea

_________________________________________________________________ See how Windows Mobile brings your life together—at home, work, or on the go. http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093182mrt/direct/01/