[lbo-talk] Mencken

sawicky at verizon.net sawicky at verizon.net
Wed Sep 17 11:28:00 PDT 2008

I've read Mencken plus a biography of him by Terry Teachout.

He's a lot of fun by intellectually very shallow when it comes to

politics and economics, which he seemed to think he knew something

about.  Very sharp on the KKK and the roots of what we now know

as the G.O.P.  I haven't read his books on the American language,

I guess his real intellectual legacy, such as it is.

I don't see much resemblance between the Gene Kelly character

-- in a movie I will watch whenever it plays -- and the guy I read.

Bierce I think is smarter, as well as more attuned to the left.

The real comprehensive critic is Mark Twain, IMO.   Was going to

do my senior thesis on him before being interrupted by the

revolution.