[lbo-talk] Palin bubble losing air?

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Wed Sep 17 16:01:02 PDT 2008

At 05:40 PM 9/17/2008, Jeffrey Fisher wrote:
>On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 9:04 PM, Tayssir John Gabbour <
>tayssir.john at googlemail.com> wrote:

> > > Can someone tell me what is more inane about the beginning of this speech
> > > than any of the other convention speeches?
> >
> > How do we perceive an orator who describes his own humbleness as
> > "great"? Particularly right after using the word "profound" to
> > describe his gratitude?
>

>um, "great" as in "large"? like a "great lake"? not as in "catherine the
>great"?
>
>anyway, since when has the rhetorical topos of humility not been, well, a
>topos. of course he does that. so did people like cicero and paul. i think
>if we simply complain about it being fake we are missing a lot of what's
>going on.

yeah. i want to know who started this meme -- some conservative whiner? great doesn't seem to be a contradiction to the word humble. and i am left scratching my head about profound. so?

not that i give a rat's about obama's sterling reputation as an orator but who gives a pig's ass?

also, if carrol's reading, that book I mentioned, _Nerds_, has a decent chapter on the diagnosis of Asperger's Syndrome (supposed diagnosis) from a distance -- targeted at figures like Bill Gates. He's talking about the arm chair analyst types who think they can tell if someone fits a DSM IV category on the basis of biographies or news clips.