[lbo-talk] please pledge to WBAI during my show on Thursday

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 18 08:01:20 PDT 2008

On Sep 18, 2008, at 10:45 AM, Ben Jackson wrote:

> By the way, what is it with community radio stations and their
> management?

To start with, what's the "community"? And how is it connected to station management? The Pacifica model, in which listeners elect part of the governing board, is deeply stupid; the listeners know next to nothing about the candidates, the station, or radio. The Justice & Unity Coalition, the gang of race essentialist ultraleftists who ran WBAI until recently, mostly featured their political work in their campaign bios, as if 20 years in organizing around prison issues had anything to do with being on the board of a troubled radio station. Surely there must be a better way. I know this is heresy in some circles, but you need real managers and lines of authority, not second- rate amateurs.

Doug