[lbo-talk] Mencken

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 18 10:50:56 PDT 2008

Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:
> [...]

Mencken wrote in praise of Strom Thurmond and in praise of Jim Crow. He opposed lynch mobs because he hated mobs. Same for the KKK. He also wrote that the US would have been better served if the South had won the Civil War and the US was ruled by an elite Southern aristocracy. I don't paint Mencken as virulently racist but he was a little more racist than average in my opinion. Better than 50% of American's opposed Jim Crow in 1950 but Mencken did not.

John Thornton