[lbo-talk] Palin & feminism

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 19 06:47:00 PDT 2008

I'm sorry. Let me be clear: I saw nothing in what Dwayne wrote that had much to do with what Doug said in reply.

That Jezebel feminists and most mainstream corporate types like Gloria Steinem are me-too, piece of the pie, corporate feminists remains true, whether they vote for Palin or not.

Of course corporate feminists aren't voting for Palin. Palin wasn't thrown at them to get democratic, corporate feminists to vote for McCain. She was thrown into the election to get christian conservatives to come out and vote, to get the base riled up with a piece of red meat, etc.

What remains true is the stupid asses post at and comment on blogs like Jezebel, actually debating the issue as to whether Palin _in office_ (as opposed to the kinds of policies she supports) is a blow for feminism. They actually debate it because they buy into it on some level. they actually debate it, often, because the people who should know better, can't marshall a decent argument against the view.

Because, they too think that a woman in office will somehow make women's lives better, especially their's. Get more women in positions of power, things will change, the stereotypes will break down and such...

It is sorta like some folks thinking a black man in office...

uh, oh, neeevermind.