[lbo-talk] Palin & feminism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 19 10:55:45 PDT 2008

shag wrote:

> i don't know, what i saw of the whole thing was a focus on jesus talk, the
> humble me or my talk, the maverick talk. i didn't get much of a sense that
> she put herself forward or the republican party put her forward as a
> feminist candidate. count the number of times the woman says blessed. it's
> annoying, yes. it's code, an important word, for xtians speaking to
> xtians. (the testifying type of xtians that is)

This sounds right. On the whole _all_ campaigns focus on bringing out their vote rather than on persuading anyone to change. I would add that the small town talk was NOT aimed at small towns; it was aimed at suburban voters. "Small town" is an icon, a fantssy, not a geographical area. Such talk makes suburban voters feel good about their candidate.

In any case, the bulk of voters simply repeat the party their grandfather voted for rather than actually make up their mind during the campaign. It's as good a way as any, sincve campaigns don't actually offer any reason to vote for anyone.

Carrol