[lbo-talk] why people vote the way they do

Wojtek Sokolowski swsokolowski at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 19 12:30:04 PDT 2008

----- Original Message ---- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> I still fail to see why this is a tremendous insight. "People are rational" hasn't been a dominant paradigm since David Hume and "exposure produces changes in the mind" is both obvious and much older.

[WS:} The difference is empirical proof.  What philosophers only speculated abot, modern science can support with empirical observations.  Wojtek

--------------------------------------------------------------- "When a candidate for public office faces the voters he does not face men of sense; he faces a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas, or even of comprehending any save the most elemental — men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion, and whose dominant emotion is dread of what they cannot understand. So confronted, the candidate must either bark with the pack or be lost. [...] All the odds are on the man who is, intrinsically, the most devious and mediocre — the man who can most adeptly disperse the notion that his mind is a virtual vacuum. The Presidency tends, year by year, to go to such men." - HL Mencken ----------------------------------------------------------------

----- Original Message ---- From: Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> To: lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 2:25:28 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] why people vote the way they do