[lbo-talk] voting reg scam

shag shag at cleandraws.com
Fri Sep 19 12:53:02 PDT 2008

hmmm. when i first moved here, i got a voter reg card, filled it out. since i've been stalked a couple of times, i checked the box that asked if i'd like to keep my name out of public purview.

alas, they wanted some documentation and i was unwilling to sort through my life in boxes to find the police records.

i was approached at the bus stop, in August, asked if I'd register. I did. they had me fill out a form, plus a slip of paper as a receipt. I thought it was odd but was tired so didn't dwell on it.

got a phone call message indicating that my registration had been rec'd.

got a letter from registrat indicating that my app was denied b/c I didn't have a ss number. i told her that the question wasn't asked. Long story short, registrar told me that all the people i've been seeing on the streets, collecting names to register to vote? some kind of scam or something. they *do* send in the applications (since I was rejected), it's just that the form they use isn't valid so you have to do it all over again.

has anyone heard of such a scam? i could see that collecting my name, addy, email, telephone would be useful info. and i could see that not collecting my ss number would be useful to: that way, they can't get busted for ss number theft.

but it seems like extraordinary lengths to go to and altogether too easy to catch folks out on it.