[lbo-talk] livni?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sat Sep 20 13:11:33 PDT 2008

============================================== Until the Israelis, whether led by Livni or Netanyahu, are certain a potential Hamas-led Palestinian state does not represent a threat to them on their western and southern borders, they are unlikely to strike any deal with Fatah, which is politically weak. If the Israelis had any serious intentions about a peaceful settlement which amounted to more than a de facto Palestinian surrender, they would have released Marwan Barghouti for the same reason Botha's government released Mandela in 1990. There might be some movement on the Palestine issue in the context of an omnibus Middle East settlement involving some form of US rapprochment with Iran, but I'm not holding my breath.