[lbo-talk] America today

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 21 04:35:51 PDT 2008

Bill Bartlett wrote:

> It isn't just in the world's only superpower that this sort of thing
> happens. But being a resident of the superpower is no protection I'm
> afraid. Shit happens. You have to wonder if its worth the trouble of
> maintaining that immense military-industrial complex, if you still
> can't rely on the post.

Post Office management began a systematic effort todiscredit the system back in the '80s. That is how privatization works; first make the public concern as unacceptabe as possible, then privatize it to gain efficiency.

There are (or were at one time) special problems in the Chicago nulk mail center, whichmay expain Andie's particular problems. Everything is apt to be fucked up in The City That Works. (Some phrase like that has been used to describe the "success" of the Daley machine -- which when I first started reading newspapers was the Kelly-Nash Machine.

Carrol