[lbo-talk] AP: "Millions spend half of income on housing, " Dean Baker quoted

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 23 12:01:30 PDT 2008

[This AP article quotes Dean Baker. I know from experience many apartments will not let you rent unless you can show you make at least 3 or 4 times the rent per month; lower end places only demand you make twice as much as the monthly rent they'll charge, or have no restrictions. - B.]

Millions spend half of income on housing

By ADRIAN SAINZ and ALAN ZIBEL, AP Business Writers 1 hour, 27 minutes ago

[...]

Ray is one of more than 7.5 million people — almost 15 percent of American homeowners with a mortgage — who are spending half of their income or more on housing costs, according to 2007 data released Tuesday by the U.S. Census Bureau. That is up from nearly 7.1 million the year before.

Traditionally, the government and most lenders consider a homeowner spending 30 percent or more of their income on housing costs to be financially burdened. But that definition now covers almost 38 percent of American homeowners with a mortgage — 19 million of them.

Though home prices have fallen this year, in the most expensive markets where home prices tripled during the boom, many working families still cannot afford to buy a home.

"We had a bubble," said Dean Baker, co-director of the Center for Economic and Policy Research in Washington, D.C. "This is a case where we absolutely want the market to adjust."

[...]

But now, an estimated 10 million homeowners owe more on their mortgages than their homes are worth, according to Moody's economy.com.

More than 4 million homeowners were at least one month behind on their loans at the end of June, and almost 500,000 had started the foreclosure process, according to the Mortgage Bankers Association.