[lbo-talk] AP: "Millions spend half of income on housing, " Dean Baker quoted

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Sep 23 14:19:49 PDT 2008

Bill O'Connor wrote:
> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>

>> On Sep 23, 2008, at 3:01 PM, B. wrote:
>>

>>> I know from experience many apartments will not let you rent unless
>>> you can show you make at least 3 or 4 times the rent per month
>>>
>> In NYC, they want an annual income of 40 times the monthly rent.
>>

> *Nobody* has that much money.

Nobody? If your monthly rent is $1700 they want to see an annual income of $68,000 or more. I know that makes it hard for lots of working people but it's hardly a standard that "nobody" can meet. Maybe you misread it as monthly income, rather than annual income, of 40 times rent? That would be a hell of a standard to meet.

John Thornton