[lbo-talk] Pew: public supports bailout 2-1

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Sep 23 18:11:55 PDT 2008

On Sep 23, 2008, at 7:43 PM, Bill O'Connor wrote:

> Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
>
>> <http://pewresearch.org/pubs/963/wall-street-bailout-approval>
>>
> I just this moment saw a Rasmussen poll saying the public was 44%
> against and 25% for the bailout.
>
> http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/business/general_business/opposition_to_bailout_plan_grows_but_still_expected_to_pass

Rasmussen question: "Do you favor or oppose the proposal for the federal government to purchase up to $700 billion in assets from finance companies?"

Pew question: "As you may know, the government is potentially investing billions to try and keep financial institutions and markets secure. Do you think this is the right thing or the wrong thing for the government to be doing?"

My guess is that "secure" is the magic word.

Doug