[lbo-talk] Dodd Bill

Jenny Brown jbrown72073 at cs.com
Wed Sep 24 17:39:47 PDT 2008

Julio Huato wrote:
> I may not have a good understanding of the social or political
> toxicity of home ownership fetishism. But when I talk about
> homeownership, I'm not arguing in favor of McMansions, each with an
> Olympic size swimming pool and a 10 acre backyard to keep the
> neighbors out of sight. I'm talking about people at the bottom of
> society. If you told me that Warren Buffet's craving Goldman or my
> craving an iPhone is making us complicit to the status quo, I'd agree
> with you, although in different measure. But if you told me the same
> about the desire of a low-income manual worker in Brooklyn, LA, or
> Oklahoma -- nickled and dimed, without a credit history -- of owning
> her apartment, I'd disagree strongly.

Apparently one can do worse to encourage ownership fetishism:

"Representative Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), spoke out against a bailout, calling the current proposal "cash for trash," and proposing a distribution of the assets back to the taxpayers.

"Since the bailout will cost each and every American about $2,300, tomorrow I will offer legislation to create a United States Mutual Trust Fund, which will take control of $700 billion in stock assets, at market value and not higher, convert those assets to shares, and distribute $2,300 worth of shares to new individual savings accounts in the name of each and every American," Kucinich said in a statement.

"The Wall Street financial disaster is an opportunity to create a genuine ownership society. If Congress invests $700 billion in the market, then the American people must get something of real value for their investment," Kucinich said.

Full at: http://www.truthout.org/article/taxpayers-congress-push-back-against-bailout

Jenny Brown