[lbo-talk] the mess we're in

Maryellen Kurkulos mkurk at mac.com
Thu Sep 25 20:32:10 PDT 2008

Doug wrote:

> Although we're hearing a lot now about how the Reagan era is over
> and the era of big government is back, an expanded government isn't
> likely to do much more than rescue a failing financial system (in
> addition to the more familiar pursuits of waging war and jailing
> people). Nothing more humane will be pursued without a far more
> energized populace than we have. After this financial crisis and
> the likely bailout, it looks impossible to go back to the status
> quo ante--but we don't seem ready to move on to something
> appealingly new yet, either.

this complements the points made by Dean Baker in his latest post: "Keeping the financial system alive, but in the intensive care unit, is not desirable. However, given the integrity and the competence of the individuals involved, it may be the best option."

http://tpmcafe.talkingpointsmemo.com/2008/09/25/ no_bailout_stop_rewarding_inco/

It's obvious that we're at a dismal impasse reflecting both the sorry state of organized labor in the 21st century and the spectacular incompetence of the charlatans at the helm. Can't say our prospects look very pretty....