[lbo-talk] Rewriting Metaphors

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Sep 26 04:55:19 PDT 2008

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 07:07:03 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:

> It seems like a reprise of the choice of Charlie Gibson - someone
> they
> thought would be soft turned out tough. It's especially rich given
> how
> much fun people made of Couric for being a lightweight.

I think we are perhaps underestimating Couric's skills as an interviewer. I have seen her do this thing before with other people. The interviewee comes in thinking they are going to get a softball interview and Katie will typically start off an interview with a series of easy questions. This puts the interviewee at her ease. Then suddenly Couric will ask them a much tougher question, usually one the interviewee should be able to answer but can't. At the end of the interview, the interviewee walks out with a bewildered "What happened!" look on their face.