[lbo-talk] Goldbugs

John Thornton jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 09:39:10 PDT 2008

Sandy Harris wrote:
> John Thornton <jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>> Sandy Harris wrote:
>>

>>> It prevents governments from just printing and spending money,
>>> the real cause of inflation. The US dollar was originally about
>>> an ounce of silver. Last I looked, silver was over $10/ounce.
>>>
>> The "real" cause of inflation?
>>

> It is quite obviously one cause. If governments can just print what
> they want to spend, then the currency is devalued. That causes
> prices to rise.
>
> Now a real goldbug would argue that it is the only cause and that
> "fiat money" should be banned.

Sent that last one before I meant to. When you wrote "The real cause of inflation" it suggests other causes are either secondary to mistaken for the "real" cause, printing fiat money. If you meant it can be one of many causes of inflation then why write it prevents the "real" cause of inflation?

John Thornton