[lbo-talk] The Paulson plan's critics

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 26 11:13:24 PDT 2008

Dennis Claxton wrote:

> At 10:23 AM 9/26/2008, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >Success! Right experts chosen to guide it.
>
> What do you think of this from All the President's Men?
>
> Deep Throat (to Bob Woodward): No, heh, but it's touching. Forget the
> myths the media's created about the White House. The truth is, these
> are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand.

They were indeed bright guys, but "thinks got out of hand" only in a very controlled way. Nixon & a few sidekicks had a rough time of it, but the primary results were somewhat different.

1. The Movement of the '60s was dying from old age already (exemplifying The Andre Gorz-principle),but the Watergate scandal aided in its final burying, as "The System" triumphantly redeemed itself.

2. We got Carter, hence Volcker, and hence the Neoliberal Era, culminating in the murderous defense of 'The Empire" we are now witnessing around the world, fully supported by both presidential candidates.

Things getting a bit out of hand never seem to really damage the power of capitalism or its current major defender in the world.

Carrol