[lbo-talk] Presidential debate

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Fri Sep 26 23:40:23 PDT 2008

On Fri, September 26, 2008 7:35 pm, Wojtek Sokolowski wrote:

> This thing is still going on, but I am totally fed up with it. What a
> farce - both candidates pandering to the worst prejudices littering the
> Amerikan mind.

Well, the sad truth is that the Dems are the Party of Empire, and the Reps are the Party of Imperialism. Of course, the MacChurian Candidate descended to his usual incantations, babbling mindlessly about Victory In Iraq like the Fuehrer in the bunker while the Katyushas pound Berlin into rubble. But that's no reason to let the Party of Empire off the hook. Here are some choice excerpts from Obama:

"That means that we, as one of the biggest consumers of oil -- 25 percent of the world's oil -- have to have an energy strategy not just to deal with Russia, but to deal with many of the rogue states we've talked about, Iran, Venezuela." ...... "Their [Russia's] actions in Georgia were unacceptable. They were unwarranted. And at this point, it is absolutely critical for the next president to make clear that we have to follow through on our six-party -- or the six-point cease-fire. They have to remove themselves from South Ossetia and Abkhazia." ...... "It is absolutely important that we have a unified alliance and that we explain to the Russians that you cannot be a 21st-century superpower, or power, and act like a 20th-century dictatorship..."

Note the vile smearing of Venezuela as a rogue state, the equally repellent smearing of Russia as a dictatorship, and the Freudian slip equating the six-party talks (with North Korea) and the six-point Medvedev-Sarkozy ceasefire. We should have no illusions about Obama's neoliberal restoration - it's only the first step away from the neocon madness, not the final destination.

-- DRR