[lbo-talk] Mencken

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Mon Sep 29 02:35:35 PDT 2008

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008, James Heartfield wrote:

> There is a more left wing, or at least radical, Mencken, in the
> marvelous Ambrose Bierce, author of the Devil's Dictionary

As people have pointed out, he wasn't really what you'd call left wing in an American context because of his racial views. But there are some great things in the Devil's Dictionary, including one very apropos quote someone just reminded me of today:

<definition>

Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.

<end definition>

Michael