[lbo-talk] Capital strike?

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Mon Sep 29 11:16:04 PDT 2008

============================== Reading the WSWS, Counterpunch, and other left publications, I don't get the sense the left is in denial. There is actually a broad consensus across the political spectrum that this is the gravest financial crisis since the 30s, and that it might be uncontrollable. But it's not yet clear whether all of the major financial institutions, both inside and outside the US, are equally afflicted and at risk and will ultimately be brought down in a generalized collapse of global capitalism, or whether the leaders are sufficiently capitalized and poised to benefit from state intervention and the shakeout of the weaker banks and hedge funds. We may lean one way or the other, but I don't think anyone can honestly answer the question at this point, not least the world bankers and regulators themselves.