[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Mon Sep 29 21:27:52 PDT 2008

On Sep 29, 2008, at 11:25 PM, Stephen Philion wrote:

>> ---I doubt that your intent is to go here, but it sounds like icons
>> are above criticism. Besides, if he has no strategy for organizing
>> those millions, what's the point of speaking for them at a time like
>> this?
>
> Because somebody ought to do it and nobody else (not me and not
> Stephen Philion) except him can. Besides, he does have such a
> strategy, involving organizing permanent citizen groups in every
> Congressional district. Will it result in anything? Maybe not. But
> what will result from snide scoffing (Nader an icon, an ICON???) and
> nose-holding Obama support we know only too well.
>
> Shane Mage
>
> --yeah, icon, as in the icon of populists and many leftists, who, like
> other icons is supposed to be free of criticism.

An icon is an image--narrowly an image of a holy individual, but by extension it can be other sorts of two-dimensional images, provided they are objects of worship. To use that word in any other sense is to be prostrate before media stupidity and to shit on the very notion of meaning.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos