[lbo-talk] Fwd: The Bailout -- Holy Toledo

Charles Brown charlesb at cncl.ci.detroit.mi.us
Tue Sep 30 06:14:02 PDT 2008

N. didn't come up with that. Envy is one of the seven deadly sins from N's favorite slave religion, Christianity. "Haterism" or "hating", as the hiphoppers call it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_deadly_sins

Envy (Latin, invidia) Main article: Envy Like greed, envy may be characterized by an insatiable desire; they differ, however, for two main reasons. First, greed is largely associated with material goods, whereas envy may apply more generally. Second, those who commit the sin of envy resent that another person has something they perceive themselves as lacking, and wish the other person to be deprived of it. Dante defined this as "love of one's own good perverted to a desire to deprive other men of theirs." In Dante's Purgatory, the punishment for the envious is to have their eyes sewn shut with wire, because they have gained sinful pleasure from seeing others brought low. Aquinas described envy as "sorrow for another's good". [1]

>>> Chris Doss <lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com> 09/30/2008 9:01 AM >>>

To some extent, methinks Nietzsche was onto something with the idea of ressentiment. "She has more stuff than I do -- she's a bad person!"