[lbo-talk] How Sarah Palin Rallied Pakistan's Feminists

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 19:24:55 PDT 2008

Okay, I'll bite.

The repubs could have nominated a bale of hay with perky eyeglasses and a chirpy cheerleader voice (come to think of it....) and this story would still illustrate a multitude of reasons it matters to have a woman on the Repub ticket and to make Repub women do their share of work on the battle with sexism front.

See Repubs are confused about women. They are confused in different terms than Dems but they are confused.

What for instance are we to make of Giuliani's bit on the campaign trail about wifey, wife No. 3, calling him on the cellphone in the middle of speeches? The fact that this is Wife No. 3 predictably should give the conservative base a royal headache. Apparently though this is trumped by the manly man with wifey always on the line thing.

Consider the Republican convention, trotting out Carly Fiorina and Meg what's her name from EBay. This is supposed to make the party look like it favors strong independent women. But any CEO who goes on as Fiorina did at the convention about "individual initiative" is an idiot. No CEO gets where they are without a lot of teamwork and my SLIGHT inclination to see where the Repubs might be going on women's issues flew out the window as soon as I heard her say it.

Next, think of Sarah Palin as McCain's trophy babe. You would think he has Cindy, why does he need another one. Think Hugh Hefner. What better way to project an image of vital virility than to surround himself with pretty younger women? The wifey deal got even better at Sturgis, the annual SD motorcycle rally. There McCain offered to enter her in the bikini contest or some such thing. There is cute and affectionate and even sexy. After all. women are supposed to be flattered to look that good but McCain was all but pimping his wife out before the assembled bikers.

And now, thanks to the men of world affairs from Pakistan, we get to explore whole new heights of gender dynamic. First there was the foreigh minister trying to "conquer" Condolezza Rice, George Bush's ice princess. Think of Palin and AlZawahi, Palin being dispatched by McCain the way some medieval lord dispatches a daughter as a gesture of friendship to a neighboring lord. In this case, really glad the good people of Pakistan are disgusted by Al Zarwahi but now it's time for some disgust in McCain's direction too.

"If he insists on hugging, I will" Ewwwwww. Is this REALLY the kind of forceful image we want our vice president projecting? Charming Cheerleader and Miss Congeniality have their place on the world stage. Women who are really good at the game even work in a bit of steely-eyed vixen, luring boorish men into multiple traps, but is Mata Hari Palin WAY out of her depth here?

It's not like there aren't already a whole raft of feminist issues on which to indict the Repubs, but even in their own terms, this one calls for serious rethinking.