[lbo-talk] House rejects bailout

Joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Tue Sep 30 20:45:30 PDT 2008

Re this exchange:

On Sep 30, 2008, at 12:36 AM, Shane Mage wrote:

> The American people have vehemently and massively rejected this swindle.

The American people supported the Iraq war before they sorta turned against it. They re-elected Reagan and Bush. I'm not sure they're a great repository of wisdom or comprehension.

Doug --------------- I think that for the first time in thirty years "the american people" have determined that not everything that benefits the rich, benefits anyone else. They are seeing that the only thing that trickles down is endless debt.

Argentina used to be a rich country (the 6th richest in the world), after many years of socializing private debt, the middle class was destroyed and the country pauperized. This could happen in the U.S. And it is a good thing that, as I say, for the first time, there seems to be a mass understanding of the dynamics of the process.

I had lunch with my broker six months ago and talked then about how the basic program was "socializing losses and privatizing gains." "Wow," he said, "that's really good." and he wrote it down. As a result of the last two weeks, everybody in this country understands this little phrase. That's a change.

Joanna