[lbo-talk] How Sarah Palin Rallied Pakistan's Feminists

Dorene Cornwell dorenefc at gmail.com
Tue Sep 30 21:42:11 PDT 2008

Heh.

Sarah Palin of course is not a bale of hay. She is a rifle-toting, moose-dressing, helicopter "predator controlling," book banning abortion proscribing CONSERVATIVE, a married mother of 5 and soon to be a grandmother. A mother both of one of the brave young men and women "defending our freedom" and of a Downs syndrome special needs baby, wholesomeness, purity, maternal womanly virtue oozing from every pore with a certain filip of western Take Charge on the side. God Bless Her! And still the prime minister of Pakistan is being an ass in her presence! Welcome to sexism, baby.

The glasses bit is via my mother, one of the main people I delegate my TV-watching to. Mom informs me that Palin's spectacle frames are flying off the shelves of optical shops everywhere. This causes Mom to question the sanity of the entire female gender, herself and daughters PROBABLY excluded.

But back to the prime minister of Pakistan. Perhaps just as well Sarah did not come equipped either for moose or wolf-hunting.

There might be grounds, diplomatic or otherwise to soft-pedal the problem: perhaps he was merely "pushing the bounds of diplomatic protocol," though being an ass is close enough for argument and would be unamibiguous if he HAD insisted. I confess I have not watched the tape, just read the dialogue above and extrapolated. And to all of you who probably think I am flying off the handle because he complimented her on her appearance, bear with me.

The problem is that Sarah thinks she might have to hug him when she does not necessarily want to if he is insisting. Perhaps she thinks this because she thinks it is her job to please her boss or because it will somehow make a good photo op. Or perhaps she is okay with having to hug boorish men sometimes.Or perhaps she is such a TOTAL neophyte about international affairs that she does not realize it might be a bad idea on multiple diplomatic and interpersonal grounds to seem excessively huggable around boorish foreign leaders. If one is going to play in the big leagues as a woman, one is probably going to have to put up with boorish foreign leaders sometimes. It's just that here SOMEONE should either be teaching Palin how to recognize and deal with sexual harassment or sending her to Hockey Mom Charm School camp.

DC