[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 12:42:43 PDT 2009

> They function perfectly well -- from the standpoint of the ruling class.
> The US gulag generates hate, pain, misery and defeatism in poor and
> workingclass communities on a massive scale. The US school system teaches
> kids to hate intellectuals and thinking. The US mass media propagates the
> crassest blowhard idiocy and conformity to power. The US health care
> system kills babies for the sake of insurance company profits.
>
> Capital doesn't want order. Capital wants maximum chaos on the local
> level, the war of all against all.
>
> -- DRR
>

>From a structural perspective considering Capital as a sort of "total agent"
I'd agree these circumstances are perfect for accumulation - right down to the street drug-dealer. And since I was essentially speaking from a functionalist point-of-view we have to remember Braverman's criticism of Durkheim which went something like: "What Durkheim refers to as pathological is perfectly in keeping with capitalist expansion".

There's a point here and one I'm not unaware of - I did say that the suicide rate in Ireland skyrocketed when economic development took off. However, we also have to be aware of the institutional aspects here. Let's take an example, and this will illustrate my criticism of Foucault. Okay, why did many mental hospitals in many countries shut their doors in the 70s and 80s. Well lets assume the predominant reason was the turn away from Welfare Statism in order to facilitate capital accumulation. However, the ideology itself seems to have come from... the Left! This actually happened - especially in Italy. Foucault's arguments could easily be taken up as an advocation of the shutting down of these institutions.

Personally I think this is a problem that we've had since the 60s generally. As David Harvey (Postmodern Condition) and, recently and more comprehensively, Boltanski and Chiapello (The New Spirit of Global Capitalism) have argued many typically Left-wing arguments have proved to be a driving force for the continuing penetration of capital into the daily sphere. I also don't think that this was a simple overlap.