[lbo-talk] umbrellas and hasidism

ravi ravi at platosbeard.org
Wed Apr 1 13:01:33 PDT 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 6:18 PM, I wrote:
> On Mar 31, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Dwayne Monroe wrote:
>> ... you guys often assume that you don't really need to make your
>> way through, for example, the text shag might post about feminist
>> theory or civil rights history. You've already got things sorted
>> out;
>> all that's needed is a pithy reply that quickly reveals bad logic.
>> (Hagiographical exceptions are made for heroes.)
>>
>> To quote comedian Patton Oswald, you shout *slappity blappity dooo!*
>> then pour yourself a cool, refreshing glass of I-Shure-Showed-Them.

This characterisation by Dwayne has been worrying me from the moment I saw it. In returning to LBO, my intention was (a) to propose a lunch gathering and (b) avoid all the flamewars and misunderstandings that left me depressed and unhappy. In posting what I did on this thread, I was merely attempting to tease Chris Doss whose one-liners can also be enjoyed on Facebook (and these are the ones I had in mind). However, by not changing the subject line to make this explicit, and worse, by adding the snarky bit that Doss' attacks are often well deserved, I have erred -- that is not at all what I intended to say, especially in this instance, since I have not been following this thread until Dwayne's post appeared. So, I withdraw that comment.

On LBO, I have tried hard to separate the two kinds of posts/responses I contribute -- posts in which I attempt to address the matter seriously (e.g: http://bit.ly/1207lm, which includes a response to a Dossian one-liner, http://bit.ly/15vUeW) and the snarky one-liners, which are clearly marked with smileys (e.g: http://bit.ly/9oG6, http://bit.ly/aQIx5) , except in cases where I am indeed angry and feel the snarkiness was deserved (e.g: http://bit.ly/svmJz).

Contrary to what Dwayne writes, I do not at all think that I have everything sorted out.

Cheers,

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself ;-) PeTA => http://peta.org/ Greenpeace => http://greenpeace.org/ If you have nothing better to read: http://platosbeard.org/