[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 1 15:14:31 PDT 2009

At 01:47 PM 4/1/2009, Doug Henwood wrote:

>You never have to contend with the facts that SA brought up, like the
>trajectory of crime rates - or the fact that other societies didn't
>have the same crime or incarceration booms as the U.S. Why?

Yeah. Even though Foucault, like Jean Genet, spoke out about George Jackson, I think for the most part when either of them were talking about prison it was less generalized than it was specific to the French system and its history.

Christian Parenti argues that Foucault works only "to some extent" when you're looking at the U.S.

http://www.diggers.org/freecitynews/_disc1/00000052.htm