[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Percival Myers permaceaem at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:07:50 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Philip Pilkington wrote:

> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/violence
>
> Perhaps our very aversion to what the term violence is supposed to connote
> is in itself proof of an increase in social disintegration and anomie. This
> is certainly a case of a term losing much of its value so that people can't
> even recognise violence AS violence any more...

Perhaps the problem is that a term with so many - and such varied - definitions has already lost its force of meaning. Some of what you described - and definitions 5 and 6 - is more precisely identified as "forceful, "rude" or "uncivil." I for one think there should be a strong demarcation between that and numbers 1 through 4. The word would have an unambiguous meaning then.

Percy