[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Chris Doss lookoverhere1 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 1 17:04:54 PDT 2009

This is the problem with Foucault. Foucault's world seems to change itself, automatically. It also does so in a peculiarly teleological fashion, always mutating so as to preserve a maximum amount of oppression. Any seeming escape is deceptive. It's like a horror movie, where the monster keeps coming and coming, stronger and stronger, no matter how many times you shoot it in the head, and then you have the obligatory scene at the end where the hero thinks he's safe and then gets his head ripped off from an unexpected quarter.

It's as if he thought the world was one huge gothic BDSM fantasy. If Clive Barker were a philosopher, he would be Foucault.