[lbo-talk] Marx without quotation marks

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Apr 2 16:28:19 PDT 2009

Doug Henwood wrote:
> Like I said, I've read a lot of Foucault, and I know what does and
> doesn't interest him. I was criticizing your use of the
> "social/discursive formation" as some sort of black box with
> explanatory power. It really strikes me as an empty phrase.
>
> Doug
Every theory uses terms as conceptual shorthand. You're fond of Freud; is the unconscious "some sort of black box with explanatory power", "an empty phrase"? My ambivalent assessment of Freud notwithstanding, I don't think that is a fair assessment of Freud's terminology, because his work explicates the characteristics and the psychological significance of the unconscious in some detail. You may disagree with Freud (as I do in some respects), but it's not reasonable to claim that Freud failed to explicate the meaning of his terms. --And just so with Foucault.

Miles