[lbo-talk] they need us - where are we?

Philip Pilkington pilkingtonphil at gmail.com
Thu Apr 2 18:42:34 PDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:

> <http://www.breakingviews.com/2009/04/02/G20%20protests.aspx>
>
> Incoherent dreams
> BY EDWARD HADAS
>
> A great age of protest should be dawning. The global mismanagement of the
> financial system has led to a deep recession. Intellectual paralysis has
> gripped the authorities and their policy response has been risky. After such
> failure, the political leaders gathered in London for the G20 conference
> deserve a serious challenge. Sadly, all they are getting are the senseless
> slogans of a hippie festival.
>
> The manifesto of the G20 Meltdown group, which managed to collect a
> scraggly band of a few thousand malcontents on Wednesday, borrowed a piece
> of contemporary rhetorical vacuity from President Barack Obama. But their
> “Yes we can” answered questions that were depressingly naïve – “can we
> guarantee everyone a job, a home, a future?” and “can we make capitalism
> history?” The audacity of hope was not matched by a discussion of means.
>
> Of course, demonstrations aren’t the natural home for intellectual rigour,
> but this effort is particularly fragmented and foolish. It’s a shame, as the
> world’s leaders really do have a big ideological gap to fill. In the two
> decades since the fall of Communism, they have mostly been guided by a
> slogan of their own: “Trust the financial markets”. That now sounds almost
> as simplistic as the protesters’ plan to “abolish all borders and be
> patriots for our planet”.
>
> The G20 doesn’t have time to develop big ideas during their meeting. There
> are too many disasters to be averted, not to mention petty squabbling over
> hedge-fund regulation and executive pay. But the next generation of leaders
> needs to get finance right, to balance the global economy and to keep
> development on track. That requires a new intellectual framework.
>
> Protesters who look like they just want a street party aren’t likely to be
> up to the challenge. Sadly, the more intellectually sophisticated Left seems
> to be hardly more capable of helping out. Any protester who can articulate a
> coherent alternative to the establishment’s tattered notions really could
> change the world.

Are we not ignoring something here? I mean I hate to be cynical about democracy, but can we not view this objectively?

I mean the very fact that this is hapenning/penetrating the public sphere is excellent.

Who gives a damn what certain people think?

Why seperate ideology from politics? Or, I'll be more blunt:

If a bunch of twats are willing to stir up some shit, then why not back it? You don't have be a member of the ComIntern to push certain things through certain processes! If it makes an impact, it makes an impact.