[lbo-talk] Pacifica Acts to Secure Control of Its Stations

Joseph Wanzala jwanzala at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:53:10 PDT 2009

Hi Doug,

Well, things long ago reached the point where Pacifica has to move beyond hand-wringing about WBAI and proactively intervene. The licenses of all the stations are controlled by the foundation and the foundation is responsible for what happens. It is the my view that the management at WBAI cannot or will not do what is necessary to reverse the situation (which threatens the viability of the entire network) so action needed to be taken.

The reaction from the JUC cadres has been to conflate the action taken by the iED with the 'christmas coup' in 2000 - which is not the case. Defenders of the status quo at WBAI do not seem to understand that the situation there is not tenable. The immediate road ahead will be rocky, but overall this might present the network with an opportunity to fix the myriad problems at WBAI and I think Grace Aaron should be commended for taking the bull by the horns and doing what needs to be done. She has my full support.

Joe W.